30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Hobby Resolutions: Past and Present

Once upon a time, I was an ambitious collector who created challenging goals to pursue each upcoming year.


These days I'm more like Michael G. Scott from The Office who is all about trying to keep things simple.

Let's take a look at the hobby goals I created for myself last year and see whether or not I was able to achieve them...


Goal #1:  Maintain an average of 3 posts per week.

Let's see.  52 weeks in a year with 3 posts per week means anything over 155 posts in 2017 is a success.  A quick glance to my Blog Archive on the left side panel will confirm that I wrote 166 posts in 2017.  Grade: A+


Goal #2:  Continue reading your blog posts.

This is one of those subjective grades, since it's impossible for me to go back and calculate exactly how many blog posts I've read.  With that being said, I know that there were times when I went AWOL and didn't leave comments on blogs due to a variety of excuses.  However... overall... I feel like I did a good job of reading your blogs.  Grade: B


Goal #3:  Pick up at least one 1956 Topps HOFer.

In regards to creating goals for specific cards, this was the only one I created for myself.  Before 2017, I had five 1956 Topps Hall of Famers sitting in my collection: Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente, Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, and Ted Williams.  The goal was to add one more.  I added four:



Al Kaline

Yogi Berra


Writing this post made me realize that I had never written about the Kaline or Berra pickups.  Even more surprising is that I've never written about the Hank Aaron I purchased back in 2013.  I guess I have some writing material the next time I have a bad case of writer's block.

Getting back to my hobby resolution... Grade: A+


Goal #4:  Continue to live within my means.

Here's another one of those goals where I'll have to grade myself subjectively.  I'm pretty good about living within my means.  I pay my bills on time and never leave a balance on my credit cards.  The only debt I current have is the mortgage on my place.  However there have been times when I spend more money on cards than I really should.  After a pretty intense summer shopping spree, I came to the conclusion that I needed to tighten up my hobby budget and focus more on my retirement and an investment property.  And since the middle of August, I've really cut back on purchasing cardboard.

With that being said... I did make two pretty significant purchases recently that I'll share in future posts.  Hey.  Ya gotta treat yourself every once in awhile.  Grade:  C


Goal #5:  Have fun.

Surprise.  Surprise.  Another subjective grade.  Kinda says something about the guy creating these goals, huh.

Anyways.  2017 was a pretty good year.  Even though I dealt with my best friend moving to Oregon and my mother having a hip replacement surgery, the one thing that always helped cheer me up was this hobby and our community of bloggers.  Grade: A+

3 A's, 1 B, and a C = 3.40 GPA.  I'd say that I was pretty successful when I step back and look at the big picture.  As for 2018... I'm sticking with the Michael Scott philosophy and keeping things simple.


2018 Goal #1:  Maintain a Monthly Budget

Although I came pretty close to sticking to a $50 monthly hobby budget the last four to five months of the year, it definitely was a challenge.  I've made the executive decision to double the monthly budget.  This is a more realistic number that allows me to add certain cards (see Goal #2 and #3) to my collection without stressing out too much.  Any unused hobby budget will carry over to the next month.


2018 Goal #2:  Purchase a 1984 Fleer Update Roger Clemens


This is the last high-end rookie card from the 80's that I need for my collection.  Love him or hate him, he was the best pitcher of his generation and I really want to add his best rookie card to my collection.


2018 Goal #3:  Purchase another 1956 Topps Hall of Famer


There are thirty-four hall of famers in the 1956 Topps baseball card set.  I currently own nine of them.  I don't think it'll be too difficult to add one more.  There are a few guys I'm specifically targeting waiting for one to fall into my hobby budget, but there's one condition.  I'm only looking for PSA, BGS, or SGC graded copies.


2018 Goal #4:  Average 3 Posts Per Week

The 30 Day Challenge that Tony created back in March really helped me reach my 2017 goal.  I'm not sure if they'll be another one this year, but I'm hoping to reach the 156 mark for the 8th time in 9 years.


2018 Goal #5:  Complete 2 Card Sets


I'm currently building 40+ trading card sets.  Completing two of them shouldn't be too difficult, although my monthly hobby budget might get in the way.


2018 Goal #6:  Attend 2 (or more) Card Shows



This past year, I started ditching card shows and honestly there aren't many left in the Bay Area to begin with.  I mostly avoided them, because I didn't want to spend money.  However card shows aren't just about card purchases. It's also about camaraderie.

Hooray!  None of my 2018 goals will need to be graded subjectively.  Although... just in case you're wondering... I'm still planning on reading your blogs on a regular basis, continuing to live within my means, and having as much fun as I can.

How about you?


What's one hobby related thing you'd like to do in 2018?

I've really been enjoying all of the "hobby goal" posts out there.  Keep up the great work!  And here's to a great 2018 Happy New Year!

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

18 comments:

Rod (Padrographs) said...

One goal would be to collect 99 copies of the 1988 Fleer Tim Flannery card, with 9 of them signed.

Anonymous said...

Um I see a problem with this post! I still live in Modesto, haven't moved to OR! Lol

The Lost Collector said...

Good luck! My most important thing is adding 2018 to my Topps Yankees Project.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I'm so envious with those 56 Topps. WowZERS! A hobby goal for 2018 (that isn't on my simple goal post)......Once I've obliterated the sets that I'll be breaking down, get rid of the non keepers along with the countless (close to 1 million) cards already sitting around that I don't need (other than to trade with). That being said, I probably need to hang on to some of them, lol.

Chris said...

I'd say you did a great job with your 2017 goals - especially the '56 Topps HOFers. Can't wait to see which one(s) you add to your collection this year. And you're one of the most prolific posters/commenters on my blogroll, so you definitely get an A+ in my gradebook!

Living within your means/planning for the future is important, but it's tough for those of us who have a passion for collecting. Budgeting is one of my goals as well. Good luck to you!

Adam said...

I'm like you, I need to set a monthly budget for cards and anything I don't use will carry over. As far as blog goals go, my main one right now is to get as many posts in the can and scheduled before I re-launch the blog soon.

Hackenbush said...

Awesome 56's! I guess one goal would be to make at least 100 posts this year (only 40 in 2017), something I haven't done since 2014. I have lots of cards and collectibles and probably enough ideas. I just have to overcome my inertia. Always enjoy reading yours, Fuji. (In fact I have a post inspired by one of yours to do.) Happy 2018!

night owl said...

I don't set any yearly goals for my hobby. There's lots of card things I'd like to do, but if I don't get them done before 2019 hits, it doesn't matter at all.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Looks like you did well in 2017 and good luck in 2018! I’d love to finish my Japanese Bruce Lee sets.

Billy Kingsley said...

One I didn't mention in my goal post was that I would like to hit 200 posts for the year on Cardboard History. I kind of slacked and didn't write a single post for almost 2 months last year, if I remember correctly, thanks to just posting my big COMC haul. I came close last year- 189 posts- and I have enough written that I could have gotten there if I cranked out multiples of the "Sets in my collection" over the last few days of the year. But I chose not to do that...I will try and get them posted this year. They have been sitting in my queue since late 2015 so I need to get them published.

BobWalkthePlank said...

I don't really set goals for myself other than trying to keep collecting fun. I did spend a lot less this year than in years past so I guess that was a good thing.

GCA said...

My main goals this coming year is to be more positive (and creative) about posting and commenting. I feel like I complain and focus on what's wrong a little too much.

The other goal is to clean off my sorting table and put all those dang stacks and sets away!

Nick said...

I'm not much of a goal-setter, but I suppose I'd like to complete 2017 A&G's Dudes inserts before this year is out. Still have a long ways to go.

And in terms of your 2017 goal of reading blogs, I'd give you an A+ -- you're one of the most consistent readers/commenters on my blog, and I very much appreciate it!

Commishbob said...

Goals for 2018...try to be more conscientious about blogging regularly, get more organized, and binder up my complete sets. I have too many in boxes and I can't enjoy them that way.

Fuji said...

Rod - I'm determined to help you reach your goal. Stay tuned.

Anonymous - Guess I should have clarified... One of my best friends. Btw... impressed that you actually read the post instead of only looking at the pretty pictures.

TLC - For your sake, I hope they don't flood the hobby or your collection with 500 different Judge cards. Wait. Maybe you'd like that.

John Miller - 1 million cards. I can honestly say that I don't envy you. It would take me a lifetime to sift through that. Glad you're more positive than me. Enjoy buddy.

Chris - Thanks! I'll take an A whenever and wherever I am. Best of luck with your budget. Can't wait to see the cards you earn from doing those COMC challenges.

Adam Sanders - There's something so satisfying about getting as many blog posts as you can written and scheduled. Looking forward to the re-launch.

Hackenbush - Losing momentum is one of my problems too. Like Dory says... just keep swimming. Can't wait to read that post. I hope it was positively inspired.

night owl - I hope you accomplish all of those card things. Sounds like you at least have a check off sheet.

SumoMenkoMan - Saw those Bruce Lee cards on your post. They're fantastic! Best of luck with your 2018 goals.

Billy Kingsley - Nice to hear that you have some posts stored in the vault. I really need to do that right now while I'm on my break. Hope you break that 200 mark!

Matthew Scott - Making sure you have fun is definitely important. What's the point of collecting if you're not. The key is figuring out how to have fun without breaking the bank. Glad to hear you were able to cut back last year. I'm still trying to figure that out myself, but at least I'm on the right track.

GCA - That's a great goal! I'm bi-polar sometimes. I try my best to be a Positive Pete, but I know that sometimes the Negative Nancy comes out from time to time.

Nick - You picked an awesome set! Best of luck! As for commenting... I just can't get enough of your crazy awesome purchases. You keep writing... and I'll keep reading.

Commishbob - Really glad to see you're back up and at it. It'll be another decade or two, but one day my goal is to have all of my favorite sets in binders. But that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

The Snorting Bull said...

Great looking set of goals Fuji. I am interested to see how you do on the 1984 Fleer Update Clemens card. I worked on that set way back in the day. Definitely has its challenges.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Good luck with the goals and I can't wait to see the posts about the recent high end stuff you acquired. I don't have goals necessarily and maybe that's a problem! Like you I enjoy reading the goals people make. Hope your mum's recovering well from her surgery and here's three cheers to your collecting this year!

Fuji said...

Snorting Bull - I've got a price and a grade I have in mind. If I get it at that price or lower, then it was meant to be. If not... oh well.

Peter K Steinberg - I should have one of them up next week. I've been really busy trying to post all of the care packages I received in Nov. & Dec. Mama Fuji was released from rehab yesterday and she's been doing great. Hopefully she'll keep it up. Thank you for the kind words.