30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Decisions Decisions Decisions

Although I was born in the early 70's, I actually consider myself more of an 80's child and my collection reflects that.  I've never actually taken the time to sit down and sort through all of my oddball issues, but I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of them come from either 80's or the 90's.

However some of my favorite oddballs are from the 70's.

That's why I was excited to tackle the Day 25 topic on Tony's 30 Day Baseball Card Challenge, which is to share a favorite oddball card from the 70's.

Several sets came to mind when I started writing this post, however like a kid in a candy store, I struggled to pick only one.  So today I'll show off my three favorites.  I won't bother ranking them, because the order could change on any given day depending on my mood.

Enough babbling... here are my favorite 70's oddballs...


Oddball #1:  1979 Topps Comics #28


I'll kick things off with a wax paper bubble gum wrapper that features two comic drawings of one of the greatest hitters in MLB history.  I absolutely love the bright colors used for this product and the Inside Baseball comic is a nice bonus.


Oddball #2:  1970 Kellogg's #32


C'mon.  Are you really surprised?  Kellogg's lenticular oddballs from the 70's are some of the most popular in the hobby and rightfully so.  What can you say?  They're gr-r-reat!

The 1970 design is my personal favorite.  I'm a big fan of the design's simplicity which kind of resembles the 1964 Topps Giant oddballs.  I only own a handful of these and Reggie is the crown jewel.


Oddball #3:  1970 Topps Posters #21



If you're one of those collectors who stress out over storage issues, than this oddball isn't for you.  They're big, extremely fragile, and light sensitive, which is why I tend to keep my Clemente stored in a comic book bag/board.  However when I decide to take it out, I'm treated to one of the coolest oddballs of the 70's.


Obligatory Hostess Card:

1979 Hostess #102

I felt like I was committing a card collector sin by not including a Hostess card in this post.  Oddball collectors love these.  Myself included.  They're a piece of my childhood.  I've said it before that the 1977 Topp Star Wars cards were the first trading cards I owned.  There's a chance I was wrong.  That honor might reside with 1975 or 1976 Hostess cards.

What about you...


What are your favorite 70's oddball issues?

I hope all of you are enjoying your week.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I'm pretty sure the 1970 Topps posters were included with packs. How cool is that!

GCA said...

Comic book bags and boards for the posters - good call. Would not have thought of that. I have a few for my player collections that I keep in a 1-pocket sheet folded in half. At least they fit in the binder.

I like all you named. Finished my '70K set with Reggie. I would add in the three Wonder Bread football sets. I remember looking for them in the ends of bread loaves at the store.

Fuji said...

hackenbush - i think you're right. that's what i read when i was doing my research for this post

gca - it's the perfect solution, but it does the job. the 1-pocket page is a good call too. you completed the 70K set? I'm so jealous. One of my favorite sets of all-time.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I know they aren't from the 70s, but the baseball card records are pretty cool.

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - the ones topps produced in 1989? if so... i'm writing a post about them soon. i just wrote about the aura vision records from 1964.